Whom to Contact (Where & What to Buy)

Questions & Answers
Get the answers on home selling and buying.

Whom to Contact (Where & What to Buy) - Q & A
Q:      Where can I get a list of home builders?

A:      For a list of home builders, contact the National Association of Home Builders at 201 15th St., N.W., Washington, DC 20005; (202) 822-0200, or your local Building Industry Association office.

Q:      Where do I get information on filing consumer complaints?

A:      For information about filing consumer complaints, look to these sources:

* Consumer Federation of America, 1424 16th St. N.W., Suite 604, Washington, DC 20036; (202) 387-6121.
* United Homeowners Association; 1511 K St., N.W.; Washington, DC 20005; (202) 408-8842.
* Consumers Union, 1535 Mission St., San Francisco, CA 94103 or call (415) 431-6747.
* Consumer Action Council, 116 New Montgomery St., Suite 233, San Francisco, CA 94105; (415) 777-9648

Q:      Where do I get information on co-ops?

A:      For information on co-operative housing, contact the National Association of Housing Cooperatives, 1614 King St., Alexandria, VA 22314; (703) 549-5201.

Q:      Where do I get information on housing market stats?

A:      A real estate agent is a good source for finding out the status of the local housing market. So is your statewide association of REALTORS®, most of which are continuously compiling such statistics from local real estate boards.

For overall housing statistics, U.S. Housing Markets regularly publishes quarterly reports on home building and home buying. Your local builders association probably gets this report. If not, the housing research firm is located in Canton, Mich.; call (800) 755-6269 for information; the firm also maintains an Internet site. Finally, check with the U.S. Bureau of the Census in Washington, D.C.; (301) 495-4700. The census bureau also maintains a site on the Internet. The Chicago Title company also has published a pamphlet, "Who's Buying Homes in America." Write Chicago Title and Trust Family of Title Insurers, 171 North Clark St., Chicago, IL 60601-3294.

Q:      Where do I get information on manufactured housing?

A:      For information on manufactured housing, request information from:

* "Questions and Answers on Manufactured Home Loans for Veterans," U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, Washington, DC 20420.
* Manufactured Housing Institute, 2101 Wilson Blvd., #610 Arlington, VA 22201; call (703) 558-0400.

Copyright 1999 Inman News Features